Thursday, February 14, 2008

Thanks for being my Valentines

I remember back in grade school, every Valentine's Day I would spend what seemed like an eternity picking through that big assorted pack of Valentine's Day cards -- the ones you'd have to fold along the crease to fit in their cheap little envelopes. It seemed like the most important thing to pick just the right card for just the right classmate.

It seemed particularly important to pick extra special cards for the girl who was the focus of the crush of the moment. But of course it was harder to pick the right cards to give the boys in my class. They couldn't be too mushy or girlie. And of course some of the cards in the pack just sucked. They were too stupid. Those I would give to the people I didn't really care for in my class.

It's been a while since if given a Valentine card to anyone. Valentine's Day is most associated with romantic love. But the various crushes or love interests that have come -- and gone -- in my life didn't help me discover what love really means. Sure, there has been love there, but a love that is fleeting isn't the love I aspire to find and experience. Maybe that special someone is still out there, but not having a love interest by my side today does not mean there is not love in my life. There is a great deal of it from the people who taught me most what love is.

My parents and the family I was born into were the first to demonstrate that love. I didn't fully understand or appreciate that as a child or even as a young man. I didn't understand how they felt about me until Suzanna came along. Once I realized how much I wanted her to be happy and healthy and how deep the emotions ran, I finally began to understand how my parents felt.

I used to think the objective in life was just to find someone to love and I would be happy. Now, I realize that loving the people in my life, family and friends -- and letting them love me back -- makes me happy every day. I have been fortunate to be back close to family and some old friends again the last couple of years. That makes this a very special Valentine's Day. It's a day filled with lots of love.

So, thank you to my immediate and extended family for sharing so many moments -- large and small -- and for giving so much of yourselves and your love. I've tried to get better, more expressive, about showing or telling you all how important you are to me and expressing the love back that you all make me feel in abundance. Thanks for being my Valentines. And Suzanna, thank you in particular, for showing me the true meaning of that simple little and infinitely complex four-letter word.

Happy Valentine's Day. May all who read this find their hearts filled beyond measure and expression with the love of family, friends and lovers.

No comments: